On the guys side:
Lee defeated Kelly's boys in the semis and went on to sweep the tournament by winning against Castlewood in the finals.
For the girls:
J. J. Kelly's girls ended the defending state champions' streak on monday by defeating Gate City 5-2 on Monday. They went on to win the tournament by defeating Coeburn 5-0. Gate City's number 1 singles and doubles team won the region in individuals.
I didn't get to watch much of the boys matches, but on the girls' side, JJK draws much of it's strength from their bottom seeds, where most teams tend to struggle. Hopefully they will be able to bring a state title back to the LPD in a couple of weeks. On another note, I was pretty impressed with Coeburn's girls. They had some pretty close matches, and definitely some potential there. I was surprised to see that as Coeburn is traditionally a really weak program
Good luck to the Lady Indians and the Generals!






Bookmarks